Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem - In the name of Allah the most Beneficent, the most Merciful.

Tuesday 13 July 2010

Studying Medicine

Allah SWT says in Chapter5:verse 32 of the Holy Qu’ran:

“…whoever saves the life of one; it shall be as if he/she had saved the life of all of mankind.”

These beautiful words are what inspired me to choose medicine as a career path out of so many possibilities Alhumdulillah. And these words are the driving force behind my hard work that will inshAllah lead me to success both in this life and the hereafter.

From a very young age I knew that I wanted to be a doctor and I guess that is what prepared me mentally and increased my knowledge of the career path. I also had to research the subjects and grades that were required of me by the Universities of my choice.

I think the greatest obstacle is people and not Islam. People discourage and challenge your ambitions by saying that women shouldn’t commit themselves to such a vigorous career that may weaken us in other responsibilities. No one seems to be concerned about the female patients who have to be treated by male doctors, at times taking part in intimate examinations. I think in today’s society we should encourage more women to become professionals like Drs, Dentists and Lawyers. Not only is this da’wah but it is healthier for our Ummah inshAllah.

Regarding issues such as dissecting humans, I personally haven’t come across any specific rulings prohibiting this for the study of Medicine. But from my understanding, this is merely a tool for learning and inshAllah is the way to better understand the human body in order to save the lives of millions of human beings. Allah knows best.

At my University they have provided females with single gender groups for intimate clinical sessions Alhumdulillah. I have spoken to many sisters in their final year of studying Medicine and they have said that when they consult a patient at the bedside they roll their sleeves up and after they have finished they roll it back down, it is for hygiene and infection control. I have been into surgery a few times wearing scrubs, and I wear the surgical gown, on top of the trousers and short sleeve top, which is like a Jilbab.

The thing that I would emphasise on the most is work experience and voluntary work. Try to get some experience over summer, whether working at your local GP surgery, or doing a few weeks of learning at a hospital (here or another country if possible). Remember Universities like to see that you will be a committed and dedicated student, especially for subjects like Medicine and Dentistry, so make sure you also get a few months or a year’s worth of voluntary work, either at a care home, children’s youth club, or even a part time job! I know that my University wanted an all rounder, so I had to tell them about my hobbies and interesting things I get up to in my free time… one of which was working for Islam Channel.

The most important thing to do if you are confused about anything is to do Istikhara and inshAllah Allah will guide you to the best path.

If you’d like to know more about my experiences as a medical student or would like any advice, inshAllah visit my blog: tazkiasamia.blogspot.com.

Let me remind you that Islam urges both, males and females to seek knowledge, it is reported by Abu Darda in al-Musnad and other sources, that the Prophet (SAW) has said, “If one treads a path in order to seek knowledge, Allah will make easy for him/her a way to enter Paradise.”

Samia Hussain - Islam Channel


3 comments:

  1. Mashallah, this motivates me even more to become a doctor and thank you for the advice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salaam, are you still active on this account? I just needed some quick advice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wa'alaykumSalaam wa rahmatullah, I don't write blogs on it any more but I still receive the messages. Go ahead inshaAllah, I will try my best.
    Sis Samia

    ReplyDelete